Jazz Guitar Standards
and YOUR contributions
This page hosts the most popular jazz guitar standards. Each tune is provided with a PDF : lead sheet, chord melody arrangement and a basic chord chart (for comping).
Some tunes (but not all) also have a video or audio demonstration of the arrangement, the chords and sample improvisation.
Some background information (composer, year, etc.) and recommended listenings are also provided for each individual jazz guitar standards.
Make sure you read the before you play... section below. The way tunes are presented here might be slightly different from what you are used to.
Finally, visitor can now contribute their own chord melody arrangements! You can share your chord melodies and rate / comment on other visitors' contributions ... please do so here.
Before You Play ...
Performance notes regarding my chord melody arrangements
You should really check out the FREE 7-Day Beginning Chord Melody course before going any further.
- Regarding all the tunes below: The first staff is melody + chord symbols: same as you would find in a fakebook. The chord melody arrangement is in the second staff (TABS) and is demonstrated using chord diagrams only. This simple approach gives you maximum freedom.
- The "chord shapes" are merely guidelines. Sometimes the melody doesn't exactly fit; diagrams are used for reference only. It is necessary to create your own approach to the tune. Chord shapes have to be rhythmically interesting and/or arpeggiated.
- The last page of each PDF is a basic chord chart. Use chords to accompany a soloist, for example.
- Most arrangements are to be played with a bassist. You may want to add some bass parts if you are playing solo guitar.
- Most importantly, study your favorite standards deeply and make them your own. Get some inspiration and ideas from recordings (check out Jazz guitar greats) and live concerts.
List of Tunes
Relevant resources about playing Jazz Guitar Standards
Share your own chord melody!
Please share your own jazz guitar standards chord melody arrangements with the community!
Fill this form with the details (or your performance notes). *Be sure to include a link to the PDF file* (or send me an email with the file attached)